Saturday, October 13, 2007

I'm delighted to present the award to . . .

So last night was the Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards. Very cool. The honor book award winners get a silver plate, and the award winners get a silver bowl. And they give little speeches - some of them couldn't be there, so editors or publishers or whoever gave the speeches for them. Those were some of the best speeches, but I guess that makes sense, since these are authors, not orators. :) Though M.T. Anderson is very articulate and Tim Wynne-Jones is very funny. To be honest, I haven't had time to read either of those two, but I will! I have to read Octavian Nothing for class later this semester, but I think Rex Zero will have to wait for break. I checked them out, just didn't get to them. Although I highly recommend Sarah Pennypacker's Clementine. I also liked The Strongest Man in the World: Louis Cyr. Not normally something I would pick up, but its very interesting, a biography that is in graphic novel format. And the pictures are good. Nicolas Debon was all cute and French. The author and illustrator, Jean-Luc Fromental and Joelle Jolivet, of 365 Penguins are also French, but they couldn't be there - though they did send along a note for us all. Penguins unite! After the presentations and speeches, they were selling books and the authors were signing. I really wanted to get some things, but I resisted. It's a slippery slope. Once you buy one, you want more . . . Presumably there will be other opportunities to have people sign things, perhaps when I have some disposable income. What an odd phrase. Anyway, I meant to go to bed early, so that will have to be all for now.

No comments: